Not signed in (Sign In)

SkillShare - A place to discuss Web Standards and Web Design topics

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorVinojZ
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2007 edited
    Hey everyone, I was hoping you could take a look at my site, The Designs Bakery and give me some thoughts/pointers/advice. Just please be nice... I'm a sensitive sort, so, "that page was horrible," would damage my ego to the point of non-existence.

Also, according to the Forum rules, you're not supposed to put sites up for evaluation/advice, but I've seen three on here already so I hope that it's okay. If not, I'll totally take it off immediately.

Thanks again, and have a great day.
    • CommentAuthordavist11
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2007
    Uh-oh....I think I see tables.

You should not be using tables for layout, only tabular data.
  1.  permalink
    VinojZ - Welcome to CSS Beauty. Thank you for reading the forum rules; sometimes we bend them, especially if someone is looking for specific guidance or insight into their web design and/or code.

An unspoken forum rule around here - don't ask a CSS community to review a website that features a table-based layout.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVinojZ
    Can you help me understand what's so wrong about tables? I guess I'm just scratching my head because as I understood it, it's used in CSS guidelines. So instead, is the recommendation is to use absolute/relative positioning?

As I said, I'm just confused and would like to do my page "right" for all that that's worth. =)

Thanks everyone.
    -v
  2.  permalink
    Aesthetically the site looks great. Judging from the source code, ripping out those tables and using pure CSS should be a snap. Let us know how it goes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVinojZ
    Alright guys, thanks to your input, I'm gonna start on that right....NOW. Okay, after I type this thing. I'll put it back up afterwards and see what your thoughts are. Thanks to Darren, Adjustafresh, and Davist.

PEAS!
    • CommentAuthorsandbox
    alot of white space at the bottom of each page. It seems fairly clean though in design
  3.  permalink
    the colour scheme works well :)
  4.  permalink
    it does however preview slightly differently in FF vs IE on PC
  5.  permalink
    Tables are perfectly fine imo, and css *can* be used with tables. There are disadvantages to using tables vs the div way.

Imo the color scheme looks good, a little trendy for my taste-- and I like cake. Do you sell cake? What i mean is that's the first impression i get that your site is a food site, possibly a designer's wedding cake portfolio.

Think about your message, refine it, and then design around that.

my 2 cents
  6.  permalink
    Tables are great for tabular data, and yes, they can and should certainly be styled with CSS. When it comes to using tables to build the layout of a page, this is unacceptable in this day and age.
    •  
      CommentAuthormringlein
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2007 edited
    WHOA!

What is the "Random Screenshot" -- I didn't create the sync roots website -- but I did design the "Connect Erlanger" website within. How random, or is it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVinojZ
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2007
    Haha, awesome MrInglein! Nice to meet you! The ConnectErlanger site is seriously one of my favorite sites I've seen. Really well done. Drop me a line sometime.

Strugglefish-- very good point. I'm gonna take that into consideration and get on that. A number of people have said, "Ooh delish, I want cake," when they saw the site, but I think this is probably what they meant. Thanks for pointing it out.

ALSO, I've taken all the tables out of the first page as was recommended by you guys. :)
  7.  permalink
    I like the design, it's neat tidy and presentable.
    In firefox it seems when the content is scrollable the 'Random Screenshot' doesn't scroll with the rest of the content.

I think that maybe you could do an image replacement for the navigation, possibly split up the content using some Hr's as well?

Overall though, really good job =]
  8.  permalink
    ALSO, I've taken all the tables out of the first page as was recommended by you guys. :)

Nice. You should look into scrapping the javascript, too, and use CSS for rollovers.

This is a good tutorial for attending to some of these issues:

Creating a CSS Layout from Scratch
    • CommentAuthordcrean
    Another thing to watch on is your white space. Your margins should look reasonably consistent across the site. For example: your right margin is significantly larger than your left on the homepage and there should be a little more white space between your logo and the navigation bar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVinojZ
    Hey guys,
    I had a question on this page, which is an alternate I have for now. It looks okay in IE, but totally FUBAR in Firefox. Can someone point me in the right direction?

sincerely,
    vinoj
  9.  permalink
    Your footer shouldn't need relative positioning, but it does need to clear the floats above it (sidebar & content) -- I suspect that's what's breaking it in Firefox.
  10.  permalink
    you need to float the 'wrapper' div left,
    then create an outerWrapper outside the wrapper div, and set the margin to 0 auto,

that will fix your clearing problem with the graphic =]
    •  
      CommentAuthorVinojZ
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2007
    Thanks guys, it worked! I've really appreciated all the help and tips everyone's given.
    -v
    • CommentAuthornocmonkey
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2007
    One point I would personally avoid would be the use of spacing between letters within the (X)HTML on the word 'Simplicity'. Using CSS to add letter spacing achieve the same effect without the markup being presentational.

I feel bad writing this as this isn't a major issue that will affect the site in any way, this is purely my personal POV. Either way the site site still looks great! : )
    •  
      CommentAuthorVinojZ
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2007
    NocMonkey, thanks for your comment. I understand the idea of using css for that, and I guess the idea for doing that would be, "If you're going to use CSS, jump full in and do it right."

That's why I went ahead and finished the entire site based on the feedback given on this board. Thank you to everyone who gave me input and I've still got a few more editions to make.

Also, thanks SO much for being polite but still pointing out where I could make changes.

Sincerely,
    Vinoj
Add your comments
    Username Password
  • Format comments as (Help)