Not signed in (Sign In)

SkillShare - A place to discuss Web Standards and Web Design topics

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorfransgaard
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2007
    We just had a talk here about whether to embed images directly into HTML emails to avoid the image blocking facilities of more and more email clients.

My gut-feel tells me this is bad pratice and should not be done and this is supported by several sites I have found by doing a quick google search.

However, none of them give any good reason why it shouldn't be done. They just tell me not to do it.

Some of the reasons I have scamped my way to are:

>> Emails become large and may therefore be blocked by email clients/firewall. Surely the work around here is watch how many bytes you spend.

>> Tracking whether users read the email is not possible, but surely that is not possible either if the image linked to from site is blocked or if the email just shows in the users preview pane

>> Some email client simply do not support embedding images, but no idea how many programmes we are talking about or how big a % of users would be affected

Can anybody give me some solid reasons why not to embed images in HTML emails? Or reasons why it is a good idea to do so?
    • CommentAuthorGus
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2007 edited

My 2.0 cents..

I think it’s not a good idea to embed images in emails for the simple reason that it reduces the chances of your email getting through, which is the whole point of doing an email in the first place.

The alternative, as you say, is to host the image externally i.e. use the IMG tag to point to the image on your server. That should increase the amount of emails getting through..i.e. you’re not sending images as an attachment (which triggers some of the more robust spam checkers that will tag your email as ‘suspect’ if not ‘spam’ straight away, purely because there’s an attachment)

But the overriding reason, for me, is that a huge amount of people (in Europe and Asia..I’m not sure about the USA) catch their email on the move, whether it’s a blackberry or one of the more recent handsets and intricate HTML emails with images is an irritant (they take longer to receive..and on some mobile networks that charge for data transfer, cost more to receive)

So, very short, very brief, text-only emails are the way to go, IMHO with a link across to the ‘latest newsletter’ or whatever.

Some people do prefer to get the full newsletter in their email, including graphics etc. etc. so if it’s a new site you’re working with, I’d recommend you include a HTML/TEXT ONLY/RICH TEXT option in your ‘Sign up for our newsletter’ form….so you can deliver what the person chooses to receive. (Rich text is easier to read than plain text – you can include bold/italics/unordered and ordered lists etc….simple html basically.)

On this subject and slightly related….can I also mention that I’ve noticed that sending bulk email newsletters from a website is also problematic. I’ve started using a desktop tool called gammedyne mailer recently ( http://www.gammadyne.com/mmail.htm ) that allows you to send mixed emails (Both HTML/TEXT in the same email) from your desktop. I’m not sure why it’s more efficient than sending from a website, but, I’m guessing that it has something to do with how the email header is constructed. i.e. When you’re sending email from your desktop, the email header is different to what’s generated by a website. If you’re using something like Drupal or Joomla (PHP/MYSQL site frameworks) for data capture, you can point gammedyne to your database to populate the recipients.

Not sure if that helps…but..that’s just my 2.0 cents.

Dub

• CommentAuthorDandruff
    • CommentAuthorfransgaard
    good point on the handheld. i do that as well

I don't agree with zeldman though. From a purist point of view that article is correct, but pratically there is both a need and market for HTML emails. I do appriciate the points though
  1.  permalink
    Zeldman has reconsidered some of his points about HTML email:

http://www.zeldman.com/2007/06/12/eight-points-for-better-e-mail-relationships/
Add your comments
    Username Password
  • Format comments as (Help)