Not signed in (Sign In)

SkillShare - A place to discuss Web Standards and Web Design topics

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorshalstvedt
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2005 edited
    I am currently stumbling along with the graphics design thing, trying to make a design to actually put some sort of blog/site up. I have most everything working (here is the page, that doesn't work with IE), but I cannot get the navigation bar to work.

I want to style a simple unordered list with CSS to look like this image. So far I have failed... can anyone help?

Thanks

(Yes, I am aware that the background image takes insanely long to load... and ATM I am too lazy/busy to fix it. I will eventually use a JavaScript preloader and compress it or something...)
    • CommentAuthorGustavs
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2005
    Well right now, I'm way to busy with my own projects, so I can't write the whole CSS, but you can use the base of this - http://www.sovavsiti.cz/css/horizontal_menu.html and just edit it the way you want.
    • CommentAuthoradmin
    here's a good tutorial from ALA

http://alistapart.com/articles/slidingdoors/
    •  
      CommentAuthorshalstvedt
    Just with a quick scan-through, I wonder if that ALA article would work with PNG-transparent images? I don't have time to look at it right now, but I might make time if it does work with transparency.

Thanks again!
    •  
      CommentAuthornifkin
    it should work with PNGs but you'd have to use one of the PNG transparency fixes for IE/6 (or have it degrade to GIFs there).

for some stuff i've been working on lately i've been using Youngpup's sleight.js (to fix IMG tags) and Drew McLellan's bgsleight.js (to fix PNG background images).

The IE7 library has a fix for PNG transparency as well, but whenever I try to use it I keep getting weird JS errors in IE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorshalstvedt
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2005 edited
    YES!!! nifkin, you rock.

Sorry, I've just been looking for a background PNG transparency fix for like a year... is that new?

Edit: Aaand... borked. Can anyone tell me what the heck is with that in IE6? No pretty, worse than without the sleight. Also, can anyone tell me how to make the li's in the "Feeds" and "Favorites" sections align to the left like on Firefox?
    •  
      CommentAuthornifkin
    Hmm, I know I had to change a snippet of it for where I was trying to use it. But it was still a little iffy in a few instances. The stuff in the IE7 library seemed like a better way to go, but like i said i kept getting odd JS errors (object expected, etc.).
    •  
      CommentAuthorshalstvedt
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2005

Anyone know how to align the list items correctly in IE?

Add your comments
    Username Password
  • Format comments as (Help)